Your closet is full of color and fabrics and patterns, all of which you aren’t wearing. Let go of what isn’t making it out of the closet and upcycle your wardrobe with a little help from your friends, while making an impact on the environment.
Make An Impact While Upcycling
Marie Kondo and “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” have taken the art of seasonal closet cleaning to the next level. Marie has inspired millions of men and women to take back their lives by tackling their closets. What a cathartic process it is to honor and release items that are no longer serving you. But where do those items go? Donation centers are overflowing and while dropping off a few bags might make you feel pretty good, it doesn’t give you a return on your investment. Only 10% of items donated to charities or thrift stores actually get sold. The rest end up in landfills or flood markets in developing countries like Haiti where they are bought by the bundle and hurt the local trade industry.
Closest Closet Recommended Steps For Tidying Up
CC will turn your donated items into hangers that can be redeemed for pieces you do actually need in your closet, instead of another cute, summer dress that will only be worn once.
- Take a good look at the contents of your closet and drawers
- Pull out pieces that haven’t seen the light of day
- Try them on and ask yourself these questions: does it fit? does it make me feel good? does it make me look good?
- If it doesn’t fit do yourself a favor and get rid of it. You aren’t giving up on wearing the amazing sequined dress you wore your senior year of college, you are honoring that amazing dress by offering it a new home
- Have you ever walked out of your house and then realized halfway through your morning how much you hate what you are wearing? If it doesn’t make you feel good then it shouldn’t be within your grasp. Get it out of your closet and into someone else’s.
- Stand in front of a full length mirror and be critical. Not of your beautiful body and all its creases and curves, but of what you are wearing. Does it highlight your best assets and hide the imperfections? If not let it find its way into another closet.